[et_pb_column type=”4_4″][et_pb_text admin_label=”Text”]Plumbing problems are something that can be often be taken care with a little general maintenance or inexpensively if the problem is not too large or one that will require special tools or professional assistance. Small issues, such as clogged toilets or sink drains can easily be done at home by someone with little experience or no experience in plumbing at all.
There are numerous tips you should keep in mind however, when it comes to doing any plumbing work yourself. With the following tips in mind, you can essentially reduce the chances of having a disaster occur that may ruin your entire plumbing system.
10 Essential Plumbing Tips to Keep in Mind
- Always know where your water shut off valves are. This reduces the chances of flooding. They are usually found behind panels or in the basement.
- Know the plumbing system in your home well. Understanding how it works and where each of the pipes are, you can have an easier time finding, and fixing issues.
- There is more than one way to unclog a drain, especially a clogged toilet or shower drain. Boiling water in a large pot on the stove and adding dish soap to the toilet bowl or shower is one way. Just let the water cool while dropping in the dish soap then add the hot water and flush down or pour the boiling water down the shower drain quickly.
- Always fix issues as soon as they’re noticed. By letting them go, you’re adding to the problem and they can become much worse.
- Always have more tools than you need before beginning a project. It is always best to be fully prepared ahead of time.
- The best way to fix clogged drains is to prevent them. By adding a trap to the shower to catch hair, or using traps in the sinks to prevent food build up, you can prevent clogs before they ever happen.
- Always keep household pipes warm when the temperature is expected to fall below freezing. Busted pipes can cause many problems. As a rule of thumb during the cold winter months, keep the heat on and open cupboards in kitchens and bathrooms to circulate heat and keep the pipes warm. Be sure to insulate around the basement pipes to prevent this from happening underneath the home where there may not be much, if any heat.
- Don’t try to tackle all plumbing jobs if you do not have the necessary experience. If you’re having issues with your plumbing that are complicated, licensed plumbers can provide the help needed.
- Plunge out the sink before you empty the trap. This will reduce the number of clogs and items left in the sink before pulling them out.
- If you have a clog and have PVC pipes, stay away from chemical drain cleaners. These chemicals can cause a reaction that could burn through the pipes and cause a bigger issue in the home.
Many homeowners try to fix their own plumbing issues if the issue is small enough. It’s important to take a little time to learn about common plumbing issues and have the appropriate tools so you may be able to take on some of the smaller issues. For larger or urgent plumbing problems, it is always best to contact a professionally licensed plumber to take care of the work at hand. Repairing small problems sooner rather than later, you’re allowing your plumbing system to work effectively and efficiently. Don’t forget to keep up on the plumbing maintenance throughout your home during the year to prevent many of these problems from happening![/et_pb_text][/et_pb_column]